Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sad, Sad day at Oklahoma State

My "alma mater" is Oklahoma State University.  I use the "" because I didn't graduate, but spent 2 fabulous years there (they don't have a nursing program) but the nursing school I went to was at a branch campus of OSU.  I am a 3rd generation Cowboy and my baby sister is about to graduate from OSU.  Let's just say this university has been a huge part of my entire life, a school SO rich in tradition, traditions I learned at an early age.

Anyways..... 10 years ago 10 players, coaches, and team members of the mens basketball team were killed in a plane crash.  Friday morning my OSU family woke up to news of another plane crash tragedy.  The women's basketball coach and his assistant coach were killed in a plane crash late Thursday night.  The thing about OSU is that we are all a family even when tragedy is not a current thought, but tragedy brings us even closer.  Talk about a school that is familiar with tragedy.

I thought this deserved a post since this blog is about my thoughts and life.  Like I said OSU is a huge part of my life, and always has been.  Ever you'll find us, LOYAL and TRUE, to our alma mater,      O-S-U!  Cowboys fan for life!!

My thoughts and prayers are with my OSU family tonight. 

Here is just a taste of our tradition I stole from someone's facebook....

Orange is that day that you moved into the dorms with a bunch of people you'd never met. It’s meeting those friends that would stick with you for life. It's "don't look at the arc", house decks and walk-arounds. It’s wearing orange the Friday before the first game & every Friday after that. It’s KURT BUDKE, MIRANDA SERNA, Barry ...Sanders, John Smith, Garth Brooks, Mike Gundy, Eddie Sutton...it’s ......you and me. Orange is putting your arm around the shoulder of the stranger next to you to sing the Alma Mater. It’s making the switch to saying “Power” instead of “Orange.” It’s remembering Lewis Field & admiring Boone Pickens Stadium. It’s knowing that it’s left hand up to make an “S.” Orange is when it’s good for a Cowboy First Down and Ten. Orange is Pistols Firing – Touchdown Oklahoma State. It’s “...O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A Oklahoma STATE” no matter where you are when the state song is played. It’s the big smile on your face when you walk past the orange fountain. It’s going back to the place you worked in college & remembering it as the best job you ever had even though it paid the least. It’s a cabinet full of Joe’s cups. Orange is knowing that it’s time to go home when you hear “New York, New York” or “Shoulda Been a Cowboy.” Orange is the one you tried to let down easy & the one you’ll never forget. Orange is wanting to get out of Stillwater for four years & spending the rest of your life wanting to go back.

Proud and Immortal,
Bright shines your name.
Oklahoma State,
We herald your fame.
Ever you’ll find us,
Loyal and true.
To our Alma Mater
O – S – U!!!

No comments: